Saturday, 6 May 2006

Computer geek MAC stuff

Recently my PowerBook's hard drive died. I had backed up about 3-4weeks before but lost heaps. Previously my backups had consistent as copying folders over to the big hard drive in my PC over a WiFi network. This is painfully slow and was prone to the WiFi AP freaking out and resetting.

So, since I lost so much stuff I was determined to find a way to prevent this. And I have.

Check out http://propagandaprod.com/dejavu.html

This is a product called Deja Vu. It is a system panel item which allows you to set up what gets copied across, does mirroring to speed up the backup and allows scheduling to allow this to happen during the night. It also seems to allow backups to occur while you have documents active which is very cool. It will also log onto a share before starting the backup and do it all without you being there. Very cool.

The other geeky thing is that I have got an iSIGHT camera. This combined with an AIM (www.aol.com) account and iCHAT means I can video conference. With a decent connection the quality is excellent. It should allow me to video conference to a PC user as well (still to try) using AOL.

Finally, we have upgraded our WiFi network to 10Mbit downstream and 2Mbit upstream with a 40Gb cap. This is about the best residential connection we can get. It means we should not run out of capacity for quite some time. It also means we can stream TV at almost full screen.

So, all in all, a very geeky week!!!

No comments: