Friday, 14 March 2008

No more ASB


Today marked the end of our involvement with ASB. I moved to ASB in my second year of university. That was over 15 years ago. At that stage ASB was expanding out of its base in Auckland and becoming a nation wide bank. They were very customer focused and were well worth the inconvenience of having to go into central Hamilton to do any banking (I lived in Hamilton East at the time).
Unfortunately ASB has become like all the big banks and now more similar to Westpac in its customer service (ie. it completely sux).
I think where banks go wrong is that they have a very perverse view of how much money they should make. Banking is a very low risk business wen you get to the size of the big banks. They look at their total portfolio and apply a percentage to that and that determines what they should make as profit.
If they behaved like most businesses, they should look at their owner equity and work out a return on that.
Because banks try to generate such high profits, they rip off the NZ consumer.
Anyway... after my run in with ASB's lack of customer focus I have voted with my feet and gone to KiwiBank. I would encourage any one else who has bad customer service to take their custom elsewhere. This is the only way big organisations will learn.

No comments: