Tuesday, 16 September 2008

MacBook review after 6 months

So I got my 13inch MacBook 6 months ago. So I thought it was time for a real life review.

In summary: DO NOT BUY ONE. I am a full on Mac fan but my "expert" opinion is stay away.

I will tell you the good points. Then the issues. Then tell you why not to buy one and what you should do instead.

The Good Points
The screen is very nice
The keyboard is excellent
The mag plug is a fantastic idea. SO good when you have an infant
The built in camera is very good as is the microphone positioning (no echo)
Speed is good
The wireless is very strong with being N compatible
The battery life is very good.
The magnetic latch works very well
The RAM access for upgrades is easy
The software, particularly the OSX is just the best.

The Bad Points
The case has sharp edges (called suicide wrists). I sanded mine off.
The plastic internal surfaces are weak and break with normal use.
The bumpers for the lid act as knives cutting into the opposing casing (obviously a lack of design understanding and testing)
The internal frame is weak. It bends causing the DVD not to eject. An Apple technician had the nerve to tell me not to pick the laptop up with one hand. IT'S A LAPTOP DUDE!
The fan is noisy
The case itself flexes and seems to be poorly constructed and designed
The white surfaces show dirt


In short, stay away from an MacBook. They just are not well build. Instead... spend the extra and get either a MacBook Pro or Air. The metal case is fully worth it.

Many of us really wanted a small 12inch MacBook and held out as long as we could. In hindsight I should have just gone to the 15inch MacBook Pro and accepted I was not going to have a small laptop. As it is the MacBook is as wide as a Pro so I would not have lost much more.

Apple has missed on the netbook (ultra small laptop) instead pumping the iPhone and iPOD touch. They might be right but I don't think so. One can but hope that rumours of a 10inch tablet are true.

1 comment:

Nigel Ramsay said...

Those are fair points, but only if:

1. You're comparing it against the MacBook Pro/Air
2. Money is no object

Most people I know who are considering switching to the Mac platform are comparing the MacBook with Dells and Asustek laptops. These people are unlikely to fork out 3000 or more when they consider the MacBook overpriced at just $1800.

I find my MacBook to be great value, and terribly powerful. Sure, it's made out of plastic and you have to be caseful with them. But, I love it. And it serves me well.