Friday, 16 September 2005

The West Bank barrier






For some time I have openly supported the Israeli built wall that is to separate the Palestinians and the Israelis. My hope is that it will give them a few generations in which the majority of families do not know anyone who has been killed by one side or the other.
I came across a really interesting thing that has happened with the wall. Just to put it in perspective... the wall is over 300km long and I think I read that it is up to 50 foot tall.

Anyway, check these pics out. It shows people starting to engage with the wall in a non-violent way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree. I think a wall could create more problems in the future. Ignorance and nationalism are probrably the greatest causes of war.

Nationalism is the ideology that legitimises the state. The state of Isreal has a nationalist tradition which is linked to the land, they beleive it is thier God given right to be there and will fight for thier land no matter what.

Northern Ireland peace talks, the cold war, and other issues have been solved through diplomacy, not placing a big fat wall in the middle of the country.

There are two nations living in Isreal, they have different cultural standpoints and different religions. The only way to solve this is through conciliation. Pain and anger have already been cuased through building this wall, it has split families and destroyed homes.

I don't beleive it is the right solution, but I've been wrong before

Sym Gardiner said...

I guess my point is that the pain and anger keeps going because everyone knows someone who has lost family members. The wall, left for a few generations will give the two communities a chance to embark on reconciliation without the baggage of the lose of close family members and friends.