Wednesday, 2 November 2005

MORE - Simon Ponsonby

I have finally finished MORE.

MORE is a 180 page book about the desire for a more Spirit filled life.

To start with, I want to be openly critical of this book. Simon Ponsonby needs to get an editor. This book has wonderful content but it is hidden behind amazingly complex and convoluted sentence structures and words that are well outside my vocab. The middle of the book is especially bad. I had to read it with a dictionary and I was only able to read very slowly so as not to miss the point.

SIMON!!!... get someone who knows how to write for normal people to help you.

To end with, I want to openly praise this book. The content, the thought, the challenge of this book is excellent. I feel broken, yet joyfilled after reading it. The scriptural references, the unpacking of the greek and hebrew, the stories, the writings of others... they are all presented. And the logic, the reasoning is just so solid. Yet there is something extra. There is a feel of truth that seems to radiate out from what is said.

The guts of MORE can be summerised by the following two sentences I found on pg134.

"All Christians, by faith in the finished work of Christ, have drunk of that living water and have been baptised in the Spirit, into Christ. But many have no theology, expectancy or desire to know the Spirit's power for service, the deep emotional and existential immediacy with God, or the manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit."

The key here is a lack of expectancy. As a church, as individuals we seem to be content with being known by God. We do not expect to be able to know God. We are content that He reached out to us. Yet He wants us to reach out to Him... to seek Him with every facet of our being. In many respects we should be discontent with our relationship with God. We should desire so much more. And God, through His Spirit, offers so much more.

This book challenges me to open the rooms in my "house" that I have kept closed to the Holy Spirit. I know this will be tough. It will hurt. I will be broken. But I do not care! I want, I long for, I desire more of God.

No comments: