Saturday, 1 August 2009

Autostop Johnsonville

After our excitement last Saturday with the car dying I was pleased to pick it up finally from Auto Stop Johnsonville.

However I like to do a thorough inspection of my car after it comes back from any service so I gave it a really good clean inside and out today.

Unfortunately Autostop Johnsonville have not done a very good job.

I have spotted the following so far:

To access the fuel pump, instead of unclipping the carpet and lifting, a hole has been hacked into it. This would not be so bad if it was three straight edges, but this is a hack job with a big 'rip' at the top.
The actual fault, a wire down to the O2 sensor, has been recreated and is just hanging between the power steering and the right hand drive shaft. Just duct tape as protection. It should at least have a protective sleeve on it and probably should be routed against the body work (although I need to check on a friends Corolla to be sure).
Plastic interior not put back correctly.
Buttons not put back in line and not connected so there is no airconditioning, clock and rear window de-misting. Actually the whole left hand side is not fitted correctly.
I am pretty sure the wires should be sleeved into the junction box.
Bracket not refitted leaving the wire floating.
Bracket damaged and wiring not refitted into place.

And as of Sunday just noticed the plastic tray below the heater controls is busted.


As I say, this is all I can find from a brief once over as I cleaned.

Soooo... Autostop Johnsonville get a chance on Monday to put things right. Then I will get it checked over at the Toyota Service because it is due a WoF and service this month anyway.

9 comments:

Brad Farless said...

Sounds like those guys really gave your car a work over. I don't know the whole story there, but I would guess that they did more damage to your car than they fixed. I can't stand sloppy work like that. I hope you took it back and told them to fix all of these things.

Anonymous said...

You got of lightly mate I took my car to Autostop had my gearbox taking out for no reason and had another 4yrs older put in the car only had a blow engine One of there workers had a wrx so we all know where my gearbox went then thay charge me for takeing also, There of to court.Please check your car parts on your car befor leaving there, Warning!

Scott said...

Thanks for writing this. Was looking for a local mechanic after moving into the area and will not be going with Autostop.

I can't believe they cut through the carpet! If they couldn't pop the bonnet would they have cut through that too?

Anonymous said...

Are you a mechanic? Did you ask and assess the situation before giving this particular company a bad reputation? Personally, i take my car to auto stop Johnsonville and have never had better service and customer interest. There would have been a acceptable reason why you have faced these so called "problems" I believe some of the story may be missing.

Sym Gardiner said...

Anonymous... you would be wrong. Have a look at the photos and tell me that these are acceptable repairs.
As it happens, it did take the car after this to the Wellington Toyota agent to review the work and repair that was done to an unacceptable standard. Their professional opinion was scathing. But in the end I couldn't be bothered taking Autostop to court. Much better to publish the evidence and let the market take its toll.
As for bits being missing in the story... no such luck. The only thing missing was good workmanship and professionalism (and a few pieces of my car).
If they provide you with good service good for you. Use them. But I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.
Oh... and thanks for commenting. Because it will lift the story up the Google search ratings. :-)

Sym Gardiner said...

Anonymous... you would be wrong. Have a look at the photos and tell me that these are acceptable repairs.
As it happens, it did take the car after this to the Wellington Toyota agent to review the work and repair that was done to an unacceptable standard. Their professional opinion was scathing. But in the end I couldn't be bothered taking Autostop to court. Much better to publish the evidence and let the market take its toll.
As for bits being missing in the story... no such luck. The only thing missing was good workmanship and professionalism (and a few pieces of my car).
If they provide you with good service good for you. Use them. But I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.
Oh... and thanks for commenting. Because it will lift the story up the Google search ratings. :-)

Sym Gardiner said...

Awesome... this latest exchanges has pushed this up to number two when you google "Autostop Johnsonville review". Nice work Anonymous.

Anonymous said...

Did you bring this to AA attention? They are supposed to be an AA approved repairer. AA was recommending me to take the car to Autostop. Lucky I google "Autostop Johnsonville review" and notice your blog. BTW did you manage to find any good mechanics around Johnsonville area? Thanks.

Sym Gardiner said...

Ended up taking it to Toyota Porirua to get sorted.