Thursday, 28 December 2006

First night home

We have survived our first night home. It was very difficult. It consisted of breast feeding, a nappy change, then a top up with previously expressed milk, then Claire expressing, then Katya falling asleep in my arms, a two hour nap... and then repeat procedure.

Claire got some good sleep and we are getting both her and Katya into a routine (because it will all turn to custard otherwise).

I reckon I have two nights of being functional in this role and then I will crash. I'm praying that is enough time for Claire to rejoin the world and settle in. At the moment she is struggling with shock (much like culture shock) and is a bit incoherent. I believe this is normal but it is quite a struggle seeing ones wife in this state.

Today our proper midwife will come around. I think this will help.

In hindsight we probably left one day too early from hospital but then that environment was a struggle in its own right.

It is funny... people gloss over these struggles. I think it would be helpful if I had of known what was coming. I no understand why in traditional culture, having kids involves the grandmothers a lot.

No comments: